How to Estimate the Amount of Stone you will need
The square footage of the surface you are covering determines the amount of stone you will use. You will want to know how many flat stones you need, and how many corner stones.
To determine the number of corner stones:
To determine the flat stone quantity:
- Measure the lineal feet (or straight-line length) of the corners, top to bottom.
- Corner stones are ordered in lineal feet, so this measurement gives you the corner stone quantity (do not include inside corners).
- Measure the square footage of the surface, which is total length x total height.
- Subtract the square footage of the windows and doors. You must also subtract the area taken by the corner stones, which is the number of lineal feet x .75.
- Square ft of flat stone = L x H – (lineal ft of corners x .75)